Fairmount Heights - A History: From Its Beginnings (1900) to Incorporation (1935)
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission Prince George's County Planning Department
Source of Copies
The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Brochure, Report, and Special Study
Number of Pages
This report summarizes the findings of an architectural/historical survey of Fairmount Heights, requested by the Mayor and Council of the Town. The goal of the project was to prepare a history of the development of the community from its earliest subdivision in 1900.
The report describes the sequential platting, between 1900 and 1923, of the six subdivisions which make up the present-day municipality; it describes
the building of some of the earliest homes, and the establishment of community institutions such as schools, churches, the social hall and citizens associations. It analyzes and compares the architectural forms of the residential buildings, and describes the community in 1935 as it achieved incorporation, at that time the largest black municipality in Prince George's County. The report is supplemented by photographs, plats and maps.
(All Publications will be assessed a $5.00 shipping and handling fee.)